Summer Reading

posted on: Thursday, June 18, 2015


This is a good group of books you guys. I think I have recommended every single one of these to at least one person since reading them. Are they necessarily summery? Ehhh, not really. But who cares when they're this good.


This was a long one. It kept me busy for quite awhile but I didn't mind one bit. Reading this you really begin to understand just how much Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt did for the people of this country during and after FDR's time in office. For race relations, for women and children, for union workers and veterans, the list goes on and on. It's amazing to me what two people can accomplish in just one lifetime. In no uncertain terms, this world is a much better place for having had them in it. Incredibly inspirational.



You know what I love? Asking someone else who loves books to give you a list of their favorites. Then taking their list and downloading every single one of them to Audible. Which is exactly how I ended up listening to The Rook (thanks Rence!). I think I have best described this book as a cross between (now stay with me here) Men in Black, Orphan Black, Memento and X Men. Maybe that sounds strange to you, but it totally works.  I loved this one.




Let me count the ways I loved this book...
#1. It's sucks you right in. Once you start, you can not stop.
#2. The protagonist is a smart ass and I actually laughed out loud from some of the dialogue.
#3. It is full of math. Like, crazy hard math that someone actually uses in a real-life application (ok, so it's not real life it's fiction, but close enough) proving that all those hours of learning ridiculous math equations in school DO have a purpose in the lives and jobs of at least a very select few (astronauts, engineers, botanists). For some reason I delighted in this knowledge. I mean, I guess I knew it was true, but it's nice to see it working in a practical way for someone. Even if that someone is an imaginary astronaut from a book who's stuck on Mars.




When I got the chance to choose a book to read and review for this blog I could not pass this one up. A non-fiction gem in which a real doctor recounts his first year in practice. He spills all his secrets about mistakes, mess ups, close calls and the whole nerve-wracking experience of finally becoming the one in charge. It was pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about what becoming a doctor is really like and the steep learning curve that they're up against. 

I have quite a few friends who are nurses who tell me all about the harrowing parts of their jobs and I can't wait to pass this book along to them. I assume they will totally relate to McCarthy's experiences and it makes me so glad I don't have a job that involves me saving anyone's life on a daily basis. As we say in the biz (or maybe it's just my co-workers and I) there is no such thing as a drapery emergency. Truly. I like my job and it's interesting and cool sometimes, but it's mostly inconsequential. And after reading this book, I am totally fine with that. 

I'd definitely recommend this one.


I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

I Am Emme All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger