Some Books I Read and Other Stuff

posted on: Friday, November 8, 2013

I haven't been feeling very inspired in the blogging department lately. It may have to do with the fact that I started using my nights after the boys are finally asleep to get back into an exercise routine, or the fact that the boys haven't been sleeping well at all lately. Can you sleep train 5 and 2 year olds? I'm serious, I need a new solution because right now I spend at least an hour after they're in bed running back and forth between their rooms as they cry for me and complain that they're too scared to sleep alone. I don't know where this came from, and I sort of think that they're just semi-competing for my attention at this point because when one starts up it seems to just be a cue for the other to join in. It's frustrating and very tiring and I usually end up falling asleep in one of their beds and then waking up way too late and having to drag myself back downstairs for an ab workout. It's stupid. And stupidly tiring. So if anyone has any brilliant ideas, hit me up in the comments section! I even tried letting them sleep in the same bed together the other night. They fell asleep ok, but then Wes knocked Oren out of the bed in the middle of the night and they both woke up crying. The rest of the night was a disaster. We obviously have no idea what we're doing here.

My lack of blogging might also have to do with the fact that I've been spending every free minute devouring new books. I've been using my Audible app to listen to books while I drive or do inventory at work and it's seriously the best thing ever. Since my last post about finishing Game of Thrones I've already finished three new books. They could not be three more different books either. So without further ado, here's my little review...



I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai: You'd have to be living under a rock to not know about this amazing girl and her recent thrust into the spotlight after being shot in the head by the Taliban for campaigning for education rights for girls in the Swat Valley. The book is so very good, and her courage and selflessness makes me shake my head at myself and all the stupid and ridiculous things I worry and stress over. Things that are so trite and insignificant that it's embarassing. For her to be so young and yet so brave and so, so wise - it's really inspirational. And makes you want to work much harder to do more good in this world. The book was great, and it was a really interesting look into her family life and life as a Pakistani woman in a culture so different from our own. Hero status for this girl.





The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher: This was an easy, fluff read and just what the doctor ordered after the epicness of GoT. To start and finish a book in the same day? It felt real good. This book was nothing to write home about, just a simple little british tale about love and family. Nothing too shocking or scandalous going on here. I think it's actually kind of an old lady book, maybe? Actually, I know it is because when I googled images for the book cover I saw that it had been made into a Hallmark movie starring Angela Lansbury....so, yeahhh.





Divergent by Veronica Roth:  Oh, young adult post apocalyptic trilogies, why can't I quit you? I don't know, I guess they're just my guilty pleasure. But I don't think all books have to be beautifully written or incredibly brilliant to be pleasurable reading. I mean, not everyone can be Proust or Kerouac, am I right? There's a time and place for everything, and I, for one, do not discriminate. So of course I was going to read Divergent, and of course I thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean, it's definitely an easy read and "young adult" in every sense of the word. They even do that thing where the bad guys just flat out tell you what they're up to and explain their evil plans aloud assuming the heroes will be dead before they can stop them. You're brain does not have to work hard here - at.all. But the love story! Oh, it's soooo, soooo, soooo very good. I mean the sexual tension... the innuendo... whew! I had to fan myself off a few times. It's totally worth it. And of course I just started Insurgent. It will be finished by the time the weekend's up as I am totally and completely hooked. So thanks to my friends for the recommendation. You all know me too well ;)


Have a very happy weekend, everyone! Oh, and seriously, sleeping tips and book recommendations are always welcome here.









0 comments:

Post a Comment

I Am Emme All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger